Tim outlines the key steps to taking good soil samples in this short video.
For further information on soil sampling refer to FAI’s technical bulletin:
Full Technical Bulletin – Soil Samplinbg – Why & How
- Have a farm map with each field clearly numbered
- Avoid sampling fields that received P or K in the last 3 months or lime in the last 2 years
- Classify soils as either mineral or peat soils
- Avoid unusual areas (gate ways / dung paths tec..) & sample to 10cm every time
- Soil sample labels should correspond to fields numbers on the map